Classic black : the basalt sculpture of Wedgwood and his contemporaries / Brian D. Gallagher ; with contributions by Gaye Blake-Roberts, Robin Emmerson, Nancy H. Ramage, M.G. Sullivan.
- Charlotte, North Carolina : The Mint Museum ; London : in association with D Giles Limited, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 248 pages : chiefly color illustrations ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNK4340.B5 G35 2020 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "This book was published in conjunction with the exhibition "Classic Black: The Basalt Sculpture of Wedgwood and His Contemporaries" (February 8, 2020-August 30, 2020), organized by The Mint Museum, Charlotte, North Carolina"--Provided by publisher.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 241-243) and index.
"Classic Black is a fascinating exploration of the inspiration behind and the development of classically inspired sculpture and other ornamental wares in black basalt. This famous stoneware was perfected by Josiah Wedgwood in 1768 and then went on to be produced by other prominent Staffordshire potters. Wedgwood, with prescience, said of his new creation: "Black is sterling and will last for ever." The basalt body was perfectly suited for ornamental works that reflected the neoclassical taste so prevalent in England from the 1770s through the early 1800s." --From jacket
- Subject Terms:
- ART / Ceramics.Basaltplastik.Black basaltes -- Exhibitions.Black basaltes.Ceramic sculpture, English -- Exhibitions.Ceramic sculpture, English.Wedgwood, Josiah, 1730-1795 -- Exhibitions.Wedgwood, Josiah, 1730-1795.
- Exhibition catalogs.
YCBA Collections Search
Gallagher, Brian D., 1957-, Classic black , 2020