Turner's apprentice : a watercolour masterclass : with over 250 illustrations / Tony Smibert ; with a foreword by Ian Warrell ; and a contribution by Joyce H. Townsend.
- London ; New York : Thames and Hudson, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 143 pages : color illustrations ; 24 x 27 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 S65 2020 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 140) and index.
How can a modern painter go about learning the techniques and methods of a longdead master? Drawing on years of research and practice, this book shows you how. Tony Smibert brings us a virtual 'apprenticeship', sharing a method and approach of his own that emulates Turner and yet is contemporary, original and innovative. Smibert is known for watercolours inspired by Turner and the golden age of British watercolour (1750-1850). His method of painting in Turner's style, informed by a fifty-year journey into non-Western painting cultures, ingeniously draws together ideas and principles from East and West to bring out an entirely new perspective on Turner's practice. A working manual for artists, the book brings together elements of practice from historic masters including Leonardo, Claude Lorraine and Monet as well as Turner. This is a book for anyone aspiring to learn from any master, explaining the practice and philosophy of traditional apprenticeship from the point of view of diverse models. Even to those who may never paint, Turner's Apprentice offers a tantalizing glimpse of the thrill of painting and learning, and an inspiring tool for art appreciation.
- Subject Terms:
- Printing -- Great Britain -- Technique.Prints -- Materials.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851.Watercolor painting -- Technique.Watercolor painting -- Technique.Watercolor painting, British.Watercolor painting, British.
- The road to mastery
- A path of study
- Practical exercises
- Turner at work