IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Rose, Pauline, 1951-, Working against the grain , 2020
Working against the grain : women sculptors in Britain c.1885-1950 / Pauline Rose.
- Liverpool : Liverpool University Press, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 300 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryNB468 .R67 2020 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 279-290) and index.
"This lavishly illustrated book breaks new ground in focusing on some of the many successful professional British women sculptors active during this period. Largely unknown, the few women who have been mentioned in histories of twentieth century British sculpture have been those who adhered to the (masculine) Modernist canon. Organized by theme this book explores and illustrates an unusually large number of and stylistically varied works. The social and cultural contexts in which these women sculptors were working are investigated, revealing how, mostly male, commentators often fixated on their gender at the expense of seriously engaging with their work. A wide variety of sources are used, ranging from contemporary art historical accounts to articles in popular magazines. This book explores contemporary sculptural developments, art school training, exhibiting opportunities, and the writings of influential critics. It also reveals how important photography, film and the written word were in the creation of reputations. Alongside revealing important works and individuals, this book's originality also lies in its scope, covering diverse sculptural genres such as decorative sculpture and utilitarian objects for the home and garden; portraits and statues; architectural sculpture, war memorials and ecclesiastical work."-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- 73 -- Sculpture and plastic arts.92 -- Biographies: Scott, Kathleen.Bildhauerin.Börngen, ...Great Britain.Groebritannien.Plastik.Sculpture, British -- 20th century.Sculpture, British.Women sculptors -- Great Britain -- 20th century.Women sculptors.