IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Smiles, Sam, The late works of J.M.W. Turner , 2020
The late works of J.M.W. Turner : the artist and his critics / Sam Smiles.
- London : Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, 2020.
New Haven : Distributed by Yale University Press
- Physical Description:
- vi, 306 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 S655 2020 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 290-297) and index.
"An exploration of Turner's final, vital years, including new readings of some of his most significant paintings. The paintings and drawings Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851) produced from 1835 to his death in 1851 are seen by many as his most audacious and compelling work, a typical example of "late style." In this study, Sam Smiles goes beyond late style, with its focus on formal qualities and assumptions about personal expression, as an explanatory framework for Turner's late works. Instead, he argues that Turner, in his final fifteen years, was an artist entirely engaged with his own times. Smiles examines the artist's critical reception in these years and scrutinizes accounts that presumed Turner's physical and mental health collapsed in his seventies, to see what can be reliably said about his work as he aged. Emerging from this study is an artist who used his final years to consolidate the principles that had motivated him throughout his career."-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, English -- 18th century -- 19th century.Art, English.Last years of a person's life.Painting, English -- 18th century -- 19th century.Painting, English.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Criticism and interpretation.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Last years.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- What's in a name? Late works and late style
- Turner's later works and contemporary criticism
- Constitutional contexts
- Self-awareness in the late works
- Withdrawal or engagement?
- Turner's late style
- 'Keep my pictures together' - Turner's legacy
- Art and its afterlife
- Style and singularity.