Aubrey Beardsley , 2020
- Aubrey Beardsley / edited by Stephen Calloway and Caroline Corbeau-Parsons ; with contributions by Clare Barlow [and 6 others].
- London : Tate Publishing, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 192 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 31 cm
- Reference LibraryOn OrderAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Published on the occasion of the exhibition Aubrey Beardsley, Tate Britain, London 4 March-25 May 2020, Musée d'Orsay, Paris 16 June-13 September 2020.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Aubrey Beardsley (1872-1898) is best remembered for his powerful illustrations for Salome by Oscar Wilde. Spanning just seven years, his intense, prolific career as a draftsman and illustrator was cut short when he died at the age of 25. His subversive black-and-white drawings and his complex persona became synonymous with decadence: He alighted on the perverse and erotic aspects of life and legend, shocking audiences with his bizarre sense of humor and fascination with the grotesque. His keen observation of his contemporaries makes him of his time, but his distinct style has resonated with subsequent generations. A major influence on the development of Art Nouveau, and on psychedelic pop culture and design in the late 1960s, Beardsley's drawings remain a key reference for many artists today. Here, short essays on aspects of Beardsley's remarkable career complement reproductions of his fascinating work. Exhibition: Tate Britain, London, UK (04.03-25.05.2020) / Musée d'Orsay, Paris, France (09.06-13.09.2019).
- Aubrey Beardsley : a new illustrator / Stephen Calloway -- Beardsley and myth / Caroline Corbeau-Parsons -- Beardsley's musical work / Emma Sutton -- Beardsley and satire / Susan Owens -- Beardsley's 'obscene drawings' / Clare Barlow -- Beardsley and Japan / Joichiro Kawamura -- Beardsley and Russia / Rosamund Bartlett.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and Design.Art and Design.Beardsley, Aubrey, 1872-1898 -- Exhibitions.Beardsley, Aubrey, 1872-1898.
- Exhibition catalogs.