Desmet, Anne, 1964-, Scene through wood , 2020
- Scene through wood : a century of modern wood engraving / Anne Desmet.
- Oxford : Ashmolean Museum, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 256 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryOn OrderAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Exhibition catalogue held at Ashmolean Museum, 28 March to 12 July 2020.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
The Ashmolean Museum houses one of the most extensive collections of wood engravings in the world. The collection effectively began with the gift in 1964, by Arthur Mitchell, of over 3,000 prints, including a large group of wood engravings. During the 1980s and 1990s, it expanded remarkably with acquisitions of large groups of prints, often as gifts from the artists, resulting in a succession of monographic exhibitions on some of the most important wood engravers. They included John Farleigh (1986), John Buckland Wright (1990), Clare Leighton (1992), Monica Poole (1993) and Anne Desmet (1998). A key point in this period of expansion was the acquisition of a comprehensive body of work by Gertrude Hermes and Blair Hughes-Stanton in 1995 from the artists' family, which resulted in a memorable exhibition organised by Katharine Eustace. More recently, the Ashmolean has formed a close partnership with the Society of Wood Engravers (SWE) and has been keeping the collection up to date by acquiring work by members, both at the Society's annual exhibition and privately.0This exhibition catalogue covers the entire history of wood engraving, including every major artist of the genre.00Exhibition: Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, UK (28.03.-12.07.2020).
- Subject Terms:
- 21.31 techniques and materials of the graphic arts.Society of Wood Engravers -- Exhibitions.Society of Wood Engravers.Wood-engraving -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Wood-engraving, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Wood-engraving, British.Wood-engraving.
- Exhibition catalogs.