Davis, Diana, 1955-, The tastemakers , 
The tastemakers : British dealers and the Anglo-Gallic interior, 1785-1865 / Diana Davis.
- Los Angeles, California : the Getty Research Institute, 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 308 pages, 52 pages of plates : illustraions (some color) ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryNK928 .D36 2020 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"The Tastemakers examines the development, role, and influence of British decorative art dealers between 1785 and 1865, years during which Francophile taste came to dominate the furnishing of elite interiors"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Art dealers -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Art dealers -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Art dealers.Decorative arts -- French influences.Decorative arts -- Great Britain -- French influences.Decorative arts -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Decorative arts -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Decorative arts.Great Britain.Interior decoration -- French influences.Interior decoration -- Great Britain -- French influences.Interior decoration -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Interior decoration -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Interior decoration.
- Part 1: Trade, Taste, and Retail. "The Revived Taste of Louis the Fourteenth"
- "Nos Amis, Les Ennemies": Britain and France
- The "Wily Brocanteur"
- "The New Race of Connoisseurs"
- Part 2: The Dealer-Producer. Manufacturers of Antique Furniture
- "Matt and Burnished Gold"
- "China Painted and Gilt"
- A Burst of Splendor: The Anglo-Gallic Interior
- Appendix 1. Selected Dealer Biographies
- Appendix 2. Sale Catalogs.