The history of Dover Castle / by the Revd. Wm. Darell, chaplain to Queen Elizabeth ; illustrated with 10 views, and a plan of the castle.
- Additional Title(s):
Castra in campo cantiano. English. Selections.
- London : Printed for Hooper & Wigstead, No. 212, High Holborn, opposite Southampton Street, Bloombury Square, 1797.
- Physical Description:
- , viii, 71,  p.,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : ill., plan ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.D7 D37 1797+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- A part of the author's "Castra in Campo cantiano", which was never published as a whole. This portion, translated by Mr. Alexander Campbell, was not printed till 1786.
Engravings by James Newton, Peter Mazell, and S. Hooper; after S. Sparrow.
Printed by White & Lewis, Printers, 25, New Street, Bishopsgate Without, London.
Latin text at foot of page.
Title page is engraved.
English short title catalogue, N66510
Advertisements for the Antiquarian Repertory, published by Edward Jeffery,  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped diced russia leather, larger than text block. Has plan (plate) dated 1810. Has bound with it: Provincial glossary : with a collection of local proverbs, and popular superstitions / by Francis Grose. New edition, Corrected. London : Edward Jeffery, 1811.
- Subject Terms:
- Dover Castle (Dover, England) -- History.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1797.Hooper & Wigstead -- Publisher.White & Lewis -- Printer.
- Publishers' advertisements.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.