The history of Dover Castle / by the Revd. Wm. Darell, chaplain to Queen Elizabeth ; illustrated with 10 views, and a plan of the castle.
- Additional Title(s):
Castra in campo cantiano. English. Selections.
- London : Printed for Hooper & Wigstead, No. 212, High Holborn, opposite Southampton Street, Bloombury Square, 1797.
- Physical Description:
- , viii, 71,  p.,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : ill., plan ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.D7 D37 1797+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- A part of the author's "Castra in Campo cantiano", which was never published as a whole. This portion, translated by Mr. Alexander Campbell, was not printed till 1786.
Engravings by James Newton, Peter Mazell, and S. Hooper; after S. Sparrow.
Printed by White & Lewis, Printers, 25, New Street, Bishopsgate Without, London.
Latin text at foot of page.
Title page is engraved.
Advertisements for the Antiquarian Repertory, published by Edward Jeffery,  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped diced russia leather, larger than text block. Has plan (plate) dated 1810. Has bound with it: Provincial glossary : with a collection of local proverbs, and popular superstitions / by Francis Grose. New edition, Corrected. London : Edward Jeffery, 1811.
- Subject Terms:
- Dover Castle (Dover, England) -- History.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1797.Hooper & Wigstead -- Publisher.White & Lewis -- Printer.
- Publishers' advertisements.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.