IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Piper, John, 1903-1992, John Piper's Brighton aquatints, 2019
John Piper's Brighton aquatints.
- Additional Title(s):
- Norwich, Norfolk : The Mainstone Press, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 111 pages : illustrations (some color), maps ; 24 x 32 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.P64 A12 2019 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Maps on endpapers
"Originally published in late 1939, John Piper's Brighton Aquatints celebrated some of the seaside resort's most iconic architecture, from the Royal Pavilion and West Pier to its stuccoed terraces and Victorian churches. The volume was the only proper 'artist's book' created by Piper and, with its unique use of the aquatint medium throughout, a pivotal work of its time. With help from John Betjeman, Piper hand-coloured 55 special copies of the edition of 250. This new edition brings Piper's monochrome and coloured prints together for the first time, alongside his quirky descriptions of the scenes. Alan Powers provides an additional commentary on each plate and an introduction exploring the book's conception and production."--Publisher's description
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Brighton -- Pictorial works.Architecture, Domestic.Brighton (England) -- Description and travel.Brighton (England) -- Pictorial works.England -- Brighton.Piper, John, 1903-1992.Travel.
- Pictorial works.
- Found, a valuable object
- Brighton aquatints introduction
- The aquatints
- Related work