IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851, Turner's modern world , 2020
Turner's modern world / David Blaney Brown, Amy Concannon, James Finch and Sam Smiles.
- London : Tate Publishing, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 240 pages : color illustrations ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 A12 2020a (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Published on the occasion of the exhibition Turner's modern world held at Tate Britain, London, 28 October 2020-7 March 2021, Kimbell Museum of Art, Fort Worth, 9 May-5 September 2021 and Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 11 October 2021-17 January 2022.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Published to accompany a landmark exhibition of the art of J.M.W. Turner, this publication will highlight Turner's contemporary imagery, the most exceptional and distinctive aspect of his work throughout his career. Rather than making any claims for Turner's protomodernist credentials, it will explore what constituted modernity, and what it meant to be a modern artist, in his lifetime. Turner's career spanned revolution and the Napoleonic War, Empire, the explosion of finance capitalism, the transition from sail to steam and from manpower to mechanisation, political reform and scientific and cultural advances that transformed society and shaped the modern world. While historians have long recognised that the industrial and political revolutions of the late eighteenth century inaugurated farreaching change and modernisation, these were often ignored by artists as they did not fit into established categories of pictorial representation. This exhibition and its accompanying publication will show Turner updating the language of art and transforming his style and practice to produce revelatory, definitive interpretations of modern subjects.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, English -- 18th century.Art, English.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Exhibitions.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851.
- Exhibition catalogs.