Living arts, 1963-1964
- Living arts.
- London : The Institute of Comtemporary Arts in association with Tillotsons (Bolton) Ltd., 1963-1964.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illustrations ; 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNX1 .L57Yale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Living Arts is a documentary magazine, planned to complement the activities of The Institute of Contemporary Arts, and to develop its own audience for original work and the examination of ideas. It will cover all the arts, especially the visual arts and architecture, and will also aim to publish creative work in the fields of literature, music, philosophy and science."--v. 1, page 1.
Edited by Theo Crosby and John Bodley. Designed by Gordon House.
BAC: British Art Center copy complete in three volumes. In publisher's laminated wrappers, as issued.
- v. 1: Franz Kline 1910-1962, an interview with David Sylvester -- Images without temples / by William Turnbull -- Trailer: Notes additional to a film / by Richard Smith -- Autumn '60 for Orchestra / by Cornelius Cardew -- Danish Art and Primitivism / by Lawrence Alloway -- Letter from the airport / by Carl Nesjar -- City / by Roy Fisher -- Photographs / by Robert Freeman -- v. 2: Cover photograph / by Robert Freeman -- Adolph Gottlieb / an interview with David Sylvester -- The American Sublime / by Lawrence Alloway -- Sculptures and statement / by Peter Startup -- Urbane Image / by Richard Hamilton -- Poems from Black Orpheus -- Living City / by Warren Chalk, Peter Cook, Dennis Crompton, Ben Fether, David Greene, Ron Herron, Peter Taylor and Michael Webb -- v. 3: Cover photograph / by Geoffrey Gale -- David Smith / interviewed by David Sylvester -- Photographs / by Geoffrey Gale -- Paul Freeley / introduction and interview by Lawrence Alloway -- Gerald Gladstone sculpture -- The Allegorical Situation / by Bernard Cohen -- Communication and Symbolic Value / by Gillo Dorfles -- Poems / by Roy Fisher, Geoffrey Hill, Patrick Fetherston -- The Atavism of the Short-Distance Minicyclist / by Reyner Banham -- 'Living City' / reviewed by Robert Maxwell -- ICA Print scheme -- Photographs / by John Goldblatt.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Modern -- Great Britain.Art, Modern -- Great Britain.Institute of Contemporary Arts (London, England)Photography, Artistic -- 20th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.