The four books of Andrea Palladio's architecture : wherein, after a short treatise of the five orders, those observations that are most necessary in building, private houses, streets, bridges, piazzas, xisti, and temples are treated of.
- Additional Title(s):
Quatro libri dell'architettura. English.
- London : Published by Isaac Ware, anno MDCCXXXVII 
- Physical Description:
- , 110,  leaves of plates : illustrations 41 cm (folio)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 100 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 100 Copy 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 100 Copy 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Translation, by Isaac Ware, of: I quatro libri dell'architettura.
The title page is engraved. Books II-IV have separate engraved title pages.
At head of titlepage: "Regina virtus".
Signatures: pi² a² A-2F²
Continuous pagination and registration; plates are numbered separately within each book.
Head- and tail-pieces; initials.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 2395
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 689
Includes list of subscribers, pages -.
Includes an index (page -), at the end of which is appended errata.
BEIR WE 3084: Pages 3-4 wanting. Poor condition.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in contemporary calf; rebacked. Imperfect: lacks dedication leaf. Title leaf is a cancel, the engraving within a window mount. Annotated on front pastedown: HOC libro elegantissimo Robertum Taylor M.D. donavit illustrissimus Comes de Burlington, artium politiorum et praecipue architectionicae, cujus primas ei deferunt omnes, non tantum munificentissimus sed etiam scientissimus patronus.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary boards; rebacked in later leather. Untrimmed. Armorial bookplate: Richard Blackett Beaumont.
BAC: British Art Center copy 3 bound in contemporary calf; rebacked. Engraved title page, plates and vignettes of Book I printed in sepia to imitate the bistre-wash of the original Palladio drawings. Armorial bookplate: Alexander Copland. Autographs: William Marshall, 1809; Henry Towndrow Payne, 1836.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Composition, proportions -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Orders -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Domestic -- Italy -- Designs and plans -- Early works to 1800.Beaumont, Richard Blackett -- Bookplate.Copland, Alexander -- Bookplate.Marshall, William -- Autograph, 1809.Rome -- Antiquities.Taylor, Robert, 1710-1762 -- Presentation inscription.Temples -- Italy -- Early works to 1800.Towndrow Payne, Henry -- Autograph, 1836.
- Engravings -- 1738.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Subscription lists (Publishing)
- [From added title pages] Second book. Wherein the designs of several houses ordered by him both within and out of the city are contained, and the designs of the antient houses of the Greeks and Latins
- Third book. Wherein the ways, bridges, piazzas, basilica's, and xisti are treated of
- Fourth book. Wherein the antient temples that are in Rome are described and figured, & some others that are in Italy and out of Italy.