An antiquarian and picturesque tour round the Southern Coast of England : illustrated with eighty-four plates, from drawings / by J.M.W. Turner, R.A., W. Collins, R.A., William Westall, R.A., S. Prout, P. Dewint, and others ; engraved by George Cooke, E. Goodall, R. Wallis, Edward Finden, W. Miller, J.C. Allen, and W. B. Cooke.
- London : M.A. Nattali, 1849.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 202 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA625 .T87 1849+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- First published in sixteen parts between 1814 and 1826 and then on completion in two volumes as Picturesque Views on the Southern Coast of England.
"... in the present volume no less than forty subjects, nearly one-half of the whole, are from drawings by Mr. Turner"--Page v.
Steel engravings also by J. Horsburgh, William Radclyffe, Robert Freebairn, George B. Shaw, and J.C. Varrall; after Samuel Owen, Edward Blore, Luke Clennell, James Hakewill, M. Natalli, Henry Edridge, François-Thomas-Louis Francia, Cristall, Joshua Cubitt, William Alexander, and William Henry Bartlett.
Numerous mounted engraved vignettes on India paper throughout text.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, p. 2143
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in half green morocco with marbled boards. Gilt edges. Bookplate: James Frothingham Hunnewell.
- Subject Terms:
- Coasts -- England, Southern -- Pictorial works.England, Southern -- Description and travel -- Pictorial works.Hunnewell, James Frothingham -- Bookplate.Nattali, M. A. -- Publisher.Steel engraving -- Specimens -- 1849.
YCBA Collections Search
Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851, An antiquarian and picturesque tour round the Southern Coast of England , 1849
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.