The harbours of England / engraved by Thomas Lupton, from original drawings made expressly for the work by J.M.W. Turner, R.A., ; with illustrative text by J. Ruskin.
- London : E. Gambart and Co., 1856.
- Physical Description:
- vii, , 53,  p., 12 leaves of plates : ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 88 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 88 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for letters from Ruskin to Lupton in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art
- With a preliminary half-title leaf.
Printed by Spottiswood and Co., London.
Original letters from John Ruskin to Thomas Lupton concerning the present work are now in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art (Department of Rare Books and Manuscript, MSS 5).
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is unbound, on large sheets measuring 51 x 34 cm. With engraver's proofs of the 12 mezzotints by Lupton; 6 of these are early proofs before all lettering, the others in scratched letter state. All are earlier than published state, with pencilled identification below. In a contemporary purple cloth portfolio.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 has presentation inscription: "Sara Corlass, With John Ruskin's love, 1865." Also has tipped in an autograph note by Heather Corlass, dated Bournemouth, 28 July 1955. Bound in publisher's original gilt- and blind-stamped blue cloth. Binder's ticket: Leighton Son & Hodge. Shoe Lane London.
- Subject Terms:
- Corlass, Heather, Miss -- ALS, Bournemouth. 28 July 1955.Corlass, Sara -- Pres. insc. from John Ruskin, 1865.E. Gambart and co. -- Publisher.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Harbors -- Great Britain.Leighton Son & Hodge -- Binder.Ruskin, John -- Pres. insc. to Sara Corlass, 1865.Spottiswood and Co. -- Printer.
- Mezzotints -- 1856.
- 1. Dover
- 2. Ramsgate
- 3. Plymouth
- 4. Catwater
- 5. Sheerness
- 6. Margate
- 7. Portsmouth
- 8. Falmouth
- 9. Sidmouth
- 10. Whitby
- 11. Deal
- 12. Scarborough.