17th-century men's dress patterns, 1600-1630 / written and illustrated by Melanie Braun, Luca Costigliolo, Susan North, Claire Thornton and Jenny Tiramani ; photography by Henrietta Clare, Pip Barnard and Paul Robins.
- Additional Title(s):
Seventeenth-century men's dress patterns, 1600-1630
- London : Thames & Hudson : Victoria and Albert Museum, 
- Physical Description:
- 176 pages : color illustrations, portraits ; 28 x 31 cm
- Reference LibraryTT617 .B73 2020 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 176).
"This newest addition to the Victoria and Albert Museum's series on historical dress patterns presents full instructions for the making of men's historical garments in a technically accurate, visually exciting, step-by-step format. The book delves into the intricate detail of the techniques involved in historical tailoring and dressmaking. Scale patterns, precise construction diagrams, an abundance of informative details, and x-ray photographs that reveal the hidden structure of each piece are accompanied by color photography of the whole garment. Edited by the world's leading authorities on historical tailoring, Patterns of Men's Dress 1600-1630 surveys the masculine wardrobe in England during the early seventeenth century. It features twelve chapters, each dedicated to one garment, including an ensemble of doublet and breeches, three doublets, a cloak, a hat, a night cap and a night-cap liner, a picadil, a pair of mittens, a sword girdle and hangers, and a linen stocking. Chapters on tailoring, dressing and inventories of men's dress provide key historical context. Like its predecessors, this book promises to be a unique resource for costume designers, dress and social historians, students, and fashion enthusiasts alike"--Publisher's description.
- Subject Terms:
- Men's clothing -- 17th century.Men's clothing -- 17th century.Men's clothing.Tailoring -- 17th century.Tailoring -- 17th century.Tailoring -- Pattern design -- 17th century.Tailoring -- Pattern design -- 17th century.Tailoring -- Pattern design.Tailoring.
YCBA Collections Search
Braun, Melanie, 17th-century men's dress patterns, 1600-1630 ,