Specimens of the ecclesiastical architecture of Great Britain, from the Conquest to the Reformation / by Henry Bowman, Architect.
- Additional Title(s):
Specimens of ancient ecclesiastical architecture
Ecclesiastical architecture of Great Britain, from the Conquest to the Reformation
- London : John W. Parker, West Strand, MDXXXXLVI 
- Physical Description:
-  p. in various pagings, , 62 leaves of plates) : ill. ; 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA5461 .B696 1846+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The work was originally projected to comprise several volumes to cover at least 27 English counties (cf. p.  of covers, pts. 1-7). No more published.
Originally issues in 12 montly parts, with title: The ecclesiastical architecture of Great Britain, from the Conquest to the Reformation ... Parts 1-4 have statement of responsibility on covers: "By Henry Bowman and James Hadfield." Title page, added engraved t.p., and other preliminaries issued with part. 12.
Title on added engraved title page: Specimens of ancient ecclesiastical architecture / with views, plans, details &c by Henry Bowman ; lithographed by Standige & Co.
Printed by Harrison and Co., St. Martin's Lane. Illustrations printed by Standidge & Co.
Letterpress relating to each church illustrated is separately paged and plates are also numbered in separate sequence in roman numerals.
Illustrations: 63 full-page lithographs (9 col., including added t.p.); numerous small ill. in the text.
Eng. cat. of books, v. 1, p. 84
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 3, p. 1162
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary half calf and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Cathedrals -- Great Britain.Church architecture -- Great Britain.Church buildings -- Great Britain.Church decoration and ornament -- Great Britain.Harrison & Co. -- Printer.Parker, John W. -- Publisher.Standidge & Co. -- Printer.
- Lithographs -- 1846
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1846.
- Norbury Church, Devonshire
- Lambley Church, Nottinghamshire
- Castle Rising Church, Norfolk
- Chaddesley-Corbet Church, Worcestershire
- Long-Ashton Church, Somersetshire
- Rudford Church, Gloucestershire
- Ruskington Church, Lincolnshire.