Campbell, R, The London tradesman , 1757
- The London tradesman : being an historical account of all the trades, professions, arts, both liberal and mechanic, now practised in the cities of London and Westminster, calculated for the instruction of youth in their choice of business ... ; to which is added, an appendix, containing many useful particulars relative to the foregoing / by R. Campbell ...
- The third edition.
- London : Printed by T. Gardner ..., 1757.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 340 pages ; 18 cm (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHF5381 C256 1757Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- ESTC T073543
"The art of making flock paper-hangings": pages 118-119; "Of the paper-maker, and stationer": p. 124-127.
"Of the tobacconist and snuff-maker": pages 273-274; "Of the tobacco-pipe-maker": p. 326-327.
Signatures: A⁶ B-Y⁸ Z².
Horizontal chain lines.
Headpiece; tailpieces; decorated initial.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled calf. Inscribed: Pa. Robson [?].
- (from t. p.) I. Advice to parents, how to study and improve the natural genius of their children, before they bind them apprentice -- II. An historical account of all the several arts and professions in this great metropolis -- III. The particular genius and qualifications necessary to make a figure in the several branches ... -- IV. The wages of a journeyman, and the profits of a master in each profession -- V. The company and corporations, and general laws of the several societies into which tradesmen are divided in the City of London -- VI. Advice to the young apprentice how to behave during his apprenticeship ... -- Lastly, directions how to avoid the many temptations to which youth are liable in this great city.
- Subject Terms:
- Apprentices -- England -- London -- Early works to 1800.Apprentices.City of London (England). Corporation -- Early works to 1800.City of London (England). Corporation.Colonial companies -- England -- London -- Early works to 1800.Colonial companies.Decorative paper -- Early works to 1800.Decorative paper.England -- London -- Westminster.England -- London.Guilds -- England -- London -- Early works to 1800.Guilds.Industrial arts -- Early works to 1800.Industrial arts.London (England) -- Occupations -- Early works to 1800.Occupations.Papermaking -- Early works to 1800.Papermaking.Robson, Pa. -- Autograph.Vocational guidance -- Early works to 1800.Vocational guidance.Wallpaper -- Early works to 1800.Wallpaper.Westminster (London, England) -- Occupations -- Early works to 1800.
- Early works.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.