Bewick, Thomas, 1753-1828, The works of Thomas Bewick, 1822
- The works of Thomas Bewick.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Bewick's works
- Newcastle : Printed for Emerson Charnley, Bigg-Market, by S. Hodgson, Union-Street, 1822.
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes : frontispieces, illustrations ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNJ18 B47 A12 1822Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title vignettes; head- and tail-pieces.
"The so-called 'Collected Works' of 1822 consists merely of Charnley's "Select Fables" of 1820, an edition of the "Quadrupeds", and editions of the "Birds" and Bewick's "Fables of Aesop", making five volumes in all, in each being inserted an extra title-page and (except in the case of the "Select Fables") a frontispiece. This title-page is the only bond of uniformity between the volumes thus 'collected'."-S. Roscoe. Thomas Bewick, a bibliography raisonné ... London, 1953, p. 177.
Vol. 1 includes a "Memoir" about Thomas Bewick and a "Catalogue" of the principal works created by John and Thomas Bewick.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled dark green morocco.
- v. 1. Select fables : with cuts / designed and engraved by Thomas and John Bewick, and others, previous to the year 1784. Newcastle : Printed by S. Hodgson for Emerson Charnley, and Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, London, 1820 -- v. 2. A general history of quadrupeds / the figures engraved on wood by Thomas Bewick. 8th ed. Newcastle upon Tyne : Printed by Edw. Walker for T. Bewick and Son; Longman and Co., London; and Wilson and Sons, York, 1824 -- v. 3. A history of British birds / by Thomas Bewick : vol. I. Containing the history and description of land birds. Newcastle : Printed by Charles Henry Cook, for R.E. Bewick : sold by him, Longman and Co., London, 1832 -- v. 4. A history of British birds / by Thomas Bewick : vol. II. Containing the history and description of water birds. Newcastle : Printed by Charles Henry Cook, for R.E. Bewick : sold by him, Longman and Co., London, 1832 -- v. 5. The fables of Aesop, and others / with designs on wood by Thomas Bewick. 2nd ed. Newcastle : Printed by E. Walker, for T. Bewick and Son, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals -- Juvenile literature.Birds -- Juvenile literature.Fables.Zoology.
- Wood engravings -- 1822.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.