Court game of geography.
- [London, William and Henry Rock, between 1838 and 1855]
- Physical Description:
- 52 cards. col. ill. 10 cm. & booklet (31 p., 1 leaf)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 C6Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- A deck of playing cards; closely related to Astrophilogeon, New geographical cards, and New royal playing cards, all published by Charles Hodges, 1827-28. The booklet of explanation which accompanies the deck is, with the exception of a cancelled title page, and an inserted list of advertisements, the same as that issued with the New geographical cards, while the deck itself matches the New royal playing cards.
Published between 1838 and 1855. The brothers Rock were at the address in the advertisements (11 Walbrook) after 1838; by 1855 they had been joined by a Mr. Payne.--Cf. Toronto. Public Libraries. Boys and Girls Services. The Osborne collection, vol. 1, p. 493; and Hodson's booksellers, publishers and stationers directory, 1855.
In case, as issued.
Cf. W. Keller. Cary, ENG 104-106.
Cottage of content, or, Toys, games, and amusements of nineteenth century England, 10
Selected exhibitions: “The Cottage of Content : or, Toys, Games, and Amusements of Nineteenth Century England" (Yale Center for British Art, November 2 - December 31, 1977).
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 56
- Subject Terms:
- Geographical recreations -- Specimens.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.