Catalogue of the important collection of manuscripts from Stowe : which will be sold by auction by S. Leigh Sotheby ... on Monday, 11th of June, 1849, and seven following days ...
- [London] : J. Davy & Sons, printers, 
- Physical Description:
- xl, 252 p.  folded leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ6626 .B83 1849Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Collection formed by George Temple Nugent Grenville, marquess of Buckingham, beginning in 1804, from various sources (Thomas Astle's collection, Charles O'Conor's Irish Manuscripts, the Essex papers and manuscripts). Extended by Richard, 1st duke of Buckingham and Chandos, and sold in 1849 by Richard, the 2nd duke, to Bertram, Early of Ashburnham.
The collection was sold privately to the Earl of Ashburnham before the announced date of the sale. Purchased from the Ashburnham estate by the British Museum in 1883.
Sales catalogue based largely on C. O'Conor's Bibliotheca ms. Stowensis. 1818-19.
With two engravings, by Charles John Smith.
BAC: British Art Center copy in original printed paper wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Beaufoy, Henry B.H. -- Bookplate.Booksellers catalogs.Buckingham and Chandos, Richard Plantagenet Temple Nugent Brydges Chandos Grenville, Duke of, 1797-1861 -- Library -- Catalogs.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1849.Great Britain -- History -- Manuscripts -- Catalogs.Great Britain -- History -- Sources -- Bibliography -- Catalogs.J. Davy & Sons -- Printer.Manuscripts, English -- England -- Stowe -- Catalogs.S. Leigh Sotheby & Co. -- Catalogs.Stowe House (Buckinghamshire, England) -- Library.
- Auction catalogs -- 1849 06 11.
Auction catalogs -- 1849.
Binders' stamps (Binding)
YCBA Collections Search
Buckingham and Chandos, Richard Plantagenet Temple Nugent Brydges Chandos Grenville, Duke of, 1797-1861, Catalogue of the important collection of manuscripts from Stowe , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.