The city and country builder's, and workman's treasury of designs, or, The art of drawing, and working the ornamental parts of architecture : illustrated by upwards of four hundred ... designs ... engraved on 186 ... plates ... to which are prefix'd, the five orders of columns ; according to Andrea Palladio ... the whole interspersed, with sure rules, for working, all the varieties of raking members in pediments, modilions, &c. ... / by Batty Langley.
- London : Printed by J. Ilive for Thomas Langley, 1740.
- Physical Description:
- iv, 24 pages, clxxxiv [i.e. 186] leaves of plates : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA3310 L3+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA3310 .L3+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Rosemarie Haag Bletter and Martin FillerView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Plates dated 1738 or 1739, and signed by Batty Langley and Thomas Langley.
Page viii misnumbered vii; plate CLXXXVI misnumbered CLXXXIV.
Advertisements, p. [ii].
With head- and tail-pieces; initials.
BAC : British Art Center copy 1 includes 14 plates, numbered in ms., dated 1741, and published by Sam. Harding, bound in at end. These same plates, with engraved numerals, appeared at the end of Harding's publication of this work in 1745.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later quarter calf and marbled boards. Contemporary marbled wrappers bound in. Signed in manuscript (with address): Edwin. L. Lutyens.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details.Architecture -- Orders.Decoration and ornament, Architectural.Lutyens, Edwin Landseer, Sir, 1869-1944 -- Autograph.
- Etchings -- 1740.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Langley, Batty, 1696-1751, The city and country builder's, and workman's treasury of designs, or, The art of drawing, and working the ornamental parts of architecture , 1740