Bewick, Thomas, 1753-1828, History of British birds, 1797 [i.e. 1798]-1804
- History of British birds. The figures engraved on wood by T. Bewick ...
- Newcastle, Printed by Sol. Hodgson, for Beilby & Bewick; sold by them, and G.G. and J. Robinson, London, 1797 [i.e. 1798]-1804.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. ill. 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNJ18 B47 A15 B5 1797b Copy 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNJ18 B47 A15 B5 1797bAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BAC : British Art Center has two copies; copy 2: 22 cm.
BAC : Advertisement for Bewick's Quadrupeds, 4th ed.: vol. I p.  Cf. Roscoe, Appendix 1 no. 5.
BAC : Title vignettes; head- and tail-pieces.
BAC : Vol. II has imprint: Newcastle, Printed by Edward Walker, for T. Bewick; sold by him, and Longman and Rees, London, 1804.
BAC : Letterpress: vol. I by Ralph Beilby, revised by Bewick; vol. II erroneously attributed to Henry Cotes who revised Bewick's text. Cf. Roscoe p. 71-73.
Vol. I: 2d edition, actually issued in 1798. Cf. Roscoe, p. 56-58.
Vol. I: Roscoe 15e; vol. II: Roscoe 17d, Variant C (copy 2: Variant E).
- I. Containing the history and description of land birds.--II. Containing the history and description of water birds.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Birds -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.