The new London letter writer : containing the compleat art of corresponding with ease, elegance, and perspicuity as is now practised by all persons of respectability / by Samuel Johnson, M.A. ; foreword and decorations by Averil Mackenzie-Grieve.
- London : The Golden Cockerel Press, 1948.
- Physical Description:
- 63,  pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPE1495 .J646 1948Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The New London letter writer has been designed, produced, and published by Christopher Sandford, at the Golden Cockerel Press, London, in Caslon's Old Face type on Arnold's mould-made paper. Composition and presswork by W.S. Cowell Ltd, of Ipswich, under the supervision of Geoffrey Smith. The edition is limited to 500 numbered copies. Nos. 1-100 are specially bound."--Colophon.
Selected from an undated 'new edition' of a work that seems to have been published originally in 1794. - Foreword.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 179
SML,Y Ia780 794jb: "No. 379."
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 29 of 500, signed by the editor. Bound in crimson quarter morocco with marbled paper covered boards.
- Subject Terms:
- English language -- Rhetoric.Letter writing.Mackenzie-Grieve, Averil -- Autograph.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Wood engravings -- 1948.
Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.