Darwin, Erasmus, 1731-1802, The botanic garden , MDCCXCI 
- The botanic garden : a poem, in two parts. Part I. Containing The economy of vegetation. Part II. The loves of the plants. With philosophical notes.
- London : Printed for J. Johnson, St. Paul's Church-Yard, MDCCXCI 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes in 1 : illustrations ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3396 .A7 1791+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The first part, The economy of vegetation, chronicles natural history and scientific discovery. The (more popular) second part, The loves of the plants describes the Linnaean system for the classification of plants. Both parts are accompanied by numerous footnotes and endnotes.
Anonymous. By Erasmus Darwin.
Entered at Stationers Hall.
Engravings by Anker Smith, T. Holloway, William Blake, T. Conder, S. Alkin, and Frederick P. Nodder; after Henry Fuseli, Emma Crewe, and H. Webber.
Part 1 includes a part titlepage and is in two sections, the second, 'Additional notes' with separate pagination and register. Include notes on the Portland vase (p. 53-59, with four plates)
The second p. 212 is includes the "Contents of the notes."
Errata and instructions to binder on page 197 of part 2.
Intended to accompany the first, second, or third part of part 2, published in 1789, 1790, and 1791 respectively.
The original drawing by Fuseli for the frontispiece of part 1 is in the Prints and Drawings Department of the Yale Center for British Art (B2007.2).
English short title catalogue, T82160
Henrey, B. Brit. botanical lit., p. 126-130
Easpm. R.R. William Blake, v. 2, p. 88
With a final errata leaf.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped tree calf. With the autograph of H.R.H. Princess Elizabeth (1770-1840) on the title page to part 1. Part 1 is the 1st edition (1791). Part 2 is the 3rd edition (1791).
SML,FRA 455 +1789db: Individual half-title 1st l. unsigned of v. 2 wanting. Only 1 of the plates is folded. Pt. 1 is 1st edition, 1791; pt. 2, 3d edition, 1791 (1st edition, Lichfield, 1789). Two plates in pt 2. are colored. Bookplate: Edward Gay.
Yale Medical Historical library copy, from the collection of Harvey Cushing, M.D. Bookplate of "R. Gardiner, Esqr." on front paste-down endpaper.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Botany -- Poetry -- Early works to 1800.Cornish, William Floyer -- Autograph.Elizabeth, Princess of England, 1770-1840 -- Provenance.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1791.Gay, Edward -- Stamp.Johnson, J. -- Publisher.Natural history -- Early works to 1800.Portland vase -- Early works to 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.