A catalogue of the noble collection of pictures, miniatures, bronzes, gems, magnificent embossed plate, ornaments in gold and silver, coins and medals, china, Japan, &c. of the Right Honourable Lady Elizabeth Germain, lately deceas'd : being the collection of the old Earls of Peterborough; and also part of the Arundelian collection : which (by order of the executors) will be sold by auction, by Mr. Langford, and Son, at their house in the Great Piazza, Covent Garden, on Wednesday the 7th of this instant March 1770, and the three following days [...] Not. : in the second day's sale will be sold, her Ladyship's rich set of gold and silver dressing plate, her brilliant ear rings, necklace, girdle buckle, stay buckles, and other jewels; her large and fine Oriental pearl necklace, and several other rich and valuable effects.
- [London] : [Mr. Langford and Son], 
- Physical Description:
- 12 pages ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 1 no. 11 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The seller was Lady Elizabeth (Betty) Germain (1680-1769), daughter of Charles Berkeley, 2nd Earl of Berkeley, and second wife of Sir John Germain, 1st Baronet (1650-1718). She inherited the collection of the Earls of Peterborough (as well as a collection of cameos and intaglios collected by Thomas Howard, 21st Earl of Arundel) from her husband, who was the widower of Mary Mordaunt, Baroness Mordaunt, daughter of the 2nd Earl of Peterborough."--Getty provenance index databases.
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-A830
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 1806
Date of sale: March 7-10, 1770
Place of sale: London.
Exhibited: "Lost Treasures of Strawberry Hill" at Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, UK, October 2018-February 2019.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated in ink and graphite with sale prices for some lots. Number 11 of 61 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Book auctions -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Brit tracts -- 1770.Bronzes -- Catalogs.Coins -- Catalogs.Decorative arts -- Catalogs.Drawing, British -- Catalogs.Drawing, European -- Catalogs.Gems -- Catalogs.Germain, Elizabeth, Lady, 1680-1769.Jewelry -- Catalogs.London Institution -- Ownership.Medals -- Catalogs.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 -- Ms. notes.
- Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Mr. Langford and Son, A catalogue of the noble collection of pictures, miniatures, bronzes, gems, magnificent embossed plate, ornaments in gold and silver, coins and medals, china, Japan, &c. of the Right Honourable Lady Elizabeth Germain, lately deceas'd , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.