A catalogue and description of King Charles the First's capital collection of pictures, limnings, statures, bronzes, medals and other curiosities : now first published from an original manuscript in the Ashmolean Museum at Oxford / the whole transcribed and prepared for the Press, and a great part of it printed, by the late ingenious Mr. Vertue, and now finished form his papers.
- London: Printed for W. Bathoe, at his Circulating Library near Exeter Change, in the Strand, MDCCLVII 
- Physical Description:
- , iv, 202 p. ; 26 cm (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN5247.C45 V3 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsN5247.C45 V3 Copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Compiled by Abraham Vanderdoort, and transcribed and prepared for the press by George Vertue. Edited by Horace Walpole, Earl of Orford.
Van der Doort's catalogue, published 10 June 1757. The part printed for Vertue is probably p. 1-108. In most copies, p. 111 is misnumbered 109.
'Advertisement' (p. i-iv) is by Horace Walpole.
Printed by William Bowyer; his records show 250 copies printed.
Signatures: [A]² a² B-3F² (-3F2).
Hazen, A.T. Catalogue of Horace Walpole's library, 2479 (1)
Maslen and Lancaster. Bowyer ledgers, 4125
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in gilt-tooled calf, with gilt edges and marbled endpapers. Bookplate: Espéraunce. Armorial bookplate: Earl of Normanton. Has bound with it: Pictures belonging to King Charles the First, at his several palaces. [London?] : [W. Bathoe?], [1757?]; [and] A catalogue of the collection of pictures, &c. belonging to King James the Second. London : W. Bathoe, 1758.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary mottled calf, with marbled edges and marbled endpapers. Has bound with it: Pictures belonging to King Charles the First, at his several palaces. [London?] : [W. Bathoe?], [1757?]. Leather ex-libris of Hannah D. Rabinowitz. Armorial bookplate: Baron Hambro.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain.Charles I, King of England, 1600-1649 -- Art collections.Collectors and collecting -- Great Britain -- History.Derby, Edward John Stanley, Earl of, 1918- -- Ownership.Derby, Edward Smith Stanley, earl of, 1775-1851 -- Autograph.Derby, Edward Smith Stanley, earl of, 1775-1851 -- Bookplate.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Art collectionsHambro, Baron -- Bookplate.Normanton, Earl of -- Bookplate.Rabinowitz, Hannah D. -- Bookplate.Royal houses -- Great Britain -- Art collections.Stuart, House of -- Art collections -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 -- Ms. notes.Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 -- Ownership.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance).
Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Van der Doort, Abraham, -1640-, A catalogue and description of King Charles the First's capital collection of pictures, limnings, statures, bronzes, medals and other curiosities , MDCCLVII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.