Gay, John, 1685-1732, Fables , 1793
- Fables / by John Gay ; with a life of the author, and embellished with seventy plates.
- London : Printed for John Stockdale, 1793.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3473 .F3 1793Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Wilson, Brown, William Blake, Lovegrove, William Skelton, W. Grainger, Audinet, Cook, and P. Mazell.
There were two issues of this edition. The first can be identified by the use of the long 's', which was modernised in the second issue.
Title pages are engraved.
ESTC (RLIN), N9619
With a list of subscribers in v.2.
Advertisements on the verso of the last leaf of v.2.
BAC: British Art Center copy is first issue, with long s. Bound in gilt stamped red morocco, with gilt edges; bound by Lloyd.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1793.Fables, English.Harris, Henry Otis -- Bookplate.James, Angelina -- Donor.James, Oliver -- Donor.Lewis, W. S. (Wilmarth Sheldon), 1895-1979 -- Ms. notes.Lewis, W. S. (Wilmarth Sheldon), 1895-1979 -- Ownership.Stockdale, John -- Publisher.
- Subscriber's lists.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.