IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Park's new characters, [between 1843 and 1851]
Park's new characters.
- London, A. Park [between 1843 and 1851]
- Physical Description:
- sheets. ill. 43 x 34-50 x 38 cm. fold. to 20 x 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 P32 copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 P32 copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- BAC : British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 has 15 sheets and covers, and is wanting one "explanation to cover." Copy 2 has 14 sheets and covers, and is also wanting one "explanation to cover." In copy 1, 5 riddle sheets (but not covers) are duplicated; in copy 2, 3 sheets (but not covers) are duplicated, and 2 sheets are triplicated. Three sheets and 4 covers in copy 1 are unique to that copy; 2 sheets and 3 covers in copy 2 are unique to that copy.
Riddle sheets in packets.
Title varies. Some sheets (and covers of packets) have titles: Park's new twelfth night characters; Park's Shaksperian twelfth night characters; Park's new lunar characters; etc.
Some packets accompanied by letterpress "explanations" of their covers.
Dated from references in the riddles to Princess Alice (b. 1843) and to the Duke of Cumberland from Kew (d. 1851).
Some of the illustrations appear to be the work of George Cruikshank.--Cf. Harvard University. Library. Widener Collection. A catalogue of the works illustrated by George Cruikshank. Philadelphia, 1918, p. 193.
Cottage of content, or, Toys, games, and amusements of nineteenth century England, 17
Selected exhibitions: “The Cottage of Content : or, Toys, Games, and Amusements of Nineteenth Century England" (Yale Center for British Art, November 2 - December 31, 1977).
- Subject Terms:
- Epiphany.Riddles.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Illustrations.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Cottage of Content, or, Toys, Games, and Amusements of Nineteenth Century England (Yale Center for British Art, November 2, 1977-December 31, 1977) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.