A treatise on civil architecture : in which the principles of that art are laid down, and illustrated by a great number of plates, accurately designed, and elegantly engraved by the best hands / by William Chambers ...
- London : Printed for the author, by J. Haberkorn : to be had at the author's house in Poland Street, near Broad-Street, Soho : likewise of A. Millar, J. Nourse, Wilson and Durham, all in the Strand, T. Osborne in Gray's-Inn, J. and R. Dodsley in Pall-Mall, R. Sayer in Fleet-Street, Piers and Webley near Chancery-Lane, Holborn, and J. Gretton, in Old-Bond-Street, MDCCLIX 
- Physical Description:
- [vi], iv, 85,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 56 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 60 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 60 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by J. Fougeron, P. Fourdrinier, C. Grignion, P. Mazell, T. Miller, F. Patton, and E. Rooker; afer William Chambers, James Gandon and G.B. Cipriani.
With a list of subscribers, pages [v]-[vi].
English short title catalogue, T51636
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 122
Fowler architectural collection of the Johns Hopkins University, 86
LWL 73 759C: Wilmarth Sheldon Lewis's notes.
LWL 73 759C: Birrell & Garnett, Feb. 1933, 3/3/-
LWL 73 759C: Book-plate - Unidentified.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in full calf; rebacked.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in sprinkled calf. Armorial bookplate of Richard Blackett Beaumont. Case label of the Cholmondeley Library.
- Subject Terms:
- Architects -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Beaumont, Richard Blackett -- Bookplate.Cholmondeley Library -- Bookplate.Decoration and ornament, Architectural -- Early works to 1800.Lewis, W. S. (Wilmarth Sheldon), 1895-1979 -- Ms. notes.Piers and Webley -- Bookseller.
- Engravings -- 1759.
Etchings -- 1759.
YCBA Collections Search
Chambers, William, Sir, 1723-1796, A treatise on civil architecture , MDCCLIX 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.