Soane, John, 1753-1837, Sketches in architecture , MDCCXCVIII 
- Sketches in architecture : containing plans and elevations of cottages, villas, and other useful buildings, with characteristic scenery / by John Soane ... ; to which are added, Six designs for improving and embellishing of grounds, with sections and explanations, by an amateur ; the whole engraved on fifty-four plates.
- London : Printed for J. Taylor at the Architectural Library, No. 59, High Holborn, MDCCXCVIII 
- Physical Description:
- , iv, iv, 20 pages, XLI,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 47 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 94Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Separate title-pages for each part.
Originally published in 1793.
"An amateur" is Isham Parkyns. See page [iii] of second set of preliminary pages.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 74
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 320.2
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 845
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 3099
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in quarter calf and marbled boards. Armorial bookplate: Camden. Has bound in at end: A catalogue of modern books on architecture, theoretical, practical, and ornamental ... J. Taylor's Architectural Library ... London (4 pages, 39 cm).
LWL 73 798S: Publisher's catalogue of books on architecture (4 p., 38 cm.) bound in.
LWL 73 798S: Lot 40, Earl of Litchfield's sale (Sotheby, 20 Dec. 1948) with 2 others, Maggs for Wilmarth Sheldon Lewis.
- Subject Terms:
- Architectural drawing -- England -- 18th century -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans -- Early works to 1800.Camden, -- Bookplate.Cottages -- Designs and plans -- Early works to 1800.Landscape architecture -- England -- Early works to 1800.Lewis, W. S. (Wilmarth Sheldon), 1895-1979 -- Ownership.
- Aquatints -- 1798.
Engravings -- 1798.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.