Watts, William, 1752-1851, The seats of the nobility and gentry , January 1st, 1779 [i.e. 1779-1786]
- The seats of the nobility and gentry : in a collection of the most interesting & picturesque views / engraved by W. Watts, from drawings by the most eminent artists ; with descriptions of each view.
- [Chelsea] : Published by W. Watts, Kemp's Row, Chelsea, January 1st, 1779 [i.e. 1779-1786]
- Physical Description:
-  p., LXXXIV leaves of plates : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA660 .W37 1779+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA660 .W37 1779+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by William Watts; after Charles George Perceval, George Barret, William Beilby, William Brooks, Adam Callander, John (?) Carter, Thomas Chubbard, David Dalby, Anthony Thomas Devis, William Donn, J. Feary, John Alexander Gresse, Thomas Hearne, William Hodges, James Luttrell, Thomas Malton, C.M. Metz, John Claude Nattes, Frederick Ponsonby, John Dawson Earl of Portarlington, Humphry Repton, John Inigo Richards, George Robertson, Michael Angelo Rooker, Paul Sandby, Thomas Sandby, Samuel Stringer, Charles Steuart, William Tomkins, and Richard Wilson.
Title page engraved by Henry Shepherd.
Published in parts between 1779 and May 1786. Cf. British Architectural Library.
"A few months after the present work ceased publication, Harrison and Company began to issue their Picturesque views of the principal seats of the nobility (published in 25 parts, 1786-1788; no. 2537) and five months later, in February 1787, William Angus began publication of another series, using exactly the same main title as the present work (no. 111)."--British Architectural Library.
Each plate accompanied by a leaf of descriptive letterpress.
ESTC (RLIN), T145838
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 3593
Upcott, W. English topography, p. xxxiii
Includes list of subscribers.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 bound in gilt-tooled tree calf; rebacked. Contains four page list of subscribers and index leaf. Copy 2 bound in gilt-tooled calf; rebacked. Contains two alternative leaves of text to plate 38 (one placed after pl. 40). Includes a list of subscribers to the collection of views, bound after plate 28. Has bound with it three prospectuses, cataloged separately: Proposals for publishing ... a series of prints exhibiting the most interesting scenes in London and Westminster by T. Malton, March, 1781 (after plate 32); Proposals for publishing a collection of select views ... in ... Ireland by Thomas Milton (after plate 48); To be published by subscription, a collection of select views in Great Britain ... by S. Middiman, 1 October 1783 (after plate 56).
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Domestic -- Early works to 1800.Aristocracy (Political science) -- Great Britain -- Homes and haunts -- Early works to 1800.Aristocracy (Social class) -- Great Britain -- Homes and haunts -- Early works to 1800.Country homes -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1779-1786.Great Britain -- Historic buildings -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Historic houses, etc.Historic buildings -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Watts, W. -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- England -- London -- 1779.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.