Picturesque views of the principal seats of the nobility and gentry, in England and Wales / by the most eminent British artists : with a description of each seat.
- London : Published as the act directs, by Harrison & Co. No. 18, Paternoster Row, [1786-1788]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 22 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA667 .P53 1786+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA667 .P53 1786+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title page is engraved, with a vignette showing the facade of the bookshop of Harrison & Co.
Plates dated 1786-1788. Issues in parts between October 1786 and October 1788.
Includes Strawberry Hill.
Engravings by John Walker, James Heath, William Ellis, Andrew Birrel, Thomas Medland, Samuel Middiman, Henry Roberts, Walter Thomas, James Fittler, B.T. Pouncy, William Angus, Shepherd, and Smith; after Richard Corbould, Conrad Martin Metz, Evans, Thomas Malton, Revd. Robert Nixon, Edward Dayes, E.F. Burney, William Ellis, J. Meheux, Humphry Repton, William Walker, George Cuit, A.C. Acklom, John Throsby, J. Harding, William Watts.
ESTC (RLIN) T113843
Hazen, A.T. Catalogue of Horace Walpole's library, no. 3849
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 2537
Upcott, W. English topography, p. xxxiv
LWL Quarto 49 3849: Binders' title: Views. Bookplate from Brown University. Horace Walpole's copy, with his armorial binding and shelfmark S.27.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 bound in gilt-stamped green calf binding. Plates are bound in order of issue. Two later plates (Esher Place dated Feb. 1792 and Luxborough dated July 1st, 1795) have been added to replace earlier plates. Bookplate: Edward Shipperdson. Copy 2 bound in full calf. Plates are in alphabetical order. Alphabetical table of plates at end. Has bound with it: Virtuosi's Museum / Paul Sandby. London, 1778. Title-page and 6 plates only.
- Subject Terms:
- Brown University. Library -- Bookplate.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1786-1788.Harrison & Co. -- Publisher.Historic buildings -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Historic buildings -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Shipperdson, Edward -- Bookplate.Strawberry Hill (Twickenham, London, England)Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 -- Binding.Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 -- Ms. notes.Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 -- Ownership.
- Viewbooks -- Great Britain -- 1786-1788.
Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
YCBA Collections Search
Picturesque views of the principal seats of the nobility and gentry, in England and Wales , [1786-1788]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.