The virtuosi's museum : containing select views, in England, Scotland and Ireland / drawn by P. Sandby, Esqr. R.A.
- London : Printed for G. Kearsly, at no. 46, near Serjeants Inn, Fleet Street, 1778[-1781]
- Physical Description:
-  p., 108 leaves of plates : ill. ; 26 x 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA620 .S255 1778+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA667 .P53 1786+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Comprising 108 plates each with a leaf of letterpress description.
Some of the views were first sketched by Lord Carlow and others.
Engravings by William Angus, Francis Chesham, Joseph Collyer, Thomas Cook, Charles Eugène Duponchel, William Ellis, James Fittler, Daniel Lerpinière, Peter Maxell, Thomas Medland, Thomas Milton, Thomas Morris, James Roberts, Michael Angelo Rooker, Thomas Ryder, Edmund Scott, William Walker, William Watts, and John Woodyer.
Plates dated 1778-1781.
Issued in numbers.
Title page is engraved.
Hazen, A.T. Catalogue of Horace Walpole's library, no. 3844
English short title catalogue, T109568.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. The DA620.S255 1778+ copy is bound in brown paper boards. The DA667.P53 1786+ copy 2 copy consists of the title-page and 6 plates only and is bound with Picturesque views of the principal seats of the nobility & gentry, in England and Wales (London, 1786-1788). Bound in full calf.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1778-1781.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Kearsly, G. -- Publisher.Lewis, W. S. (Wilmarth Sheldon), 1895-1979 -- Ms. notes.Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 -- Bookplate.Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 -- Ms. notes.Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 -- Ownership.
- Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance) -- 18th century.
Binders' stamps (Binding) -- [illegible], Piccadilly
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.