Tallis's London street views, exhibiting upwards of one hundred buildings in each number, elegantly engraved on steel; with a commercial directory corrected every month, the whole forming a complete stranger's guide through London ... To which is added an index map of the streets ...
- London, John Tallis [1838-40]
- Physical Description:
- 88 pts. ill., double plans. 14 x 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 3Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 3Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1, in which the text and plans have been bound separately, is imperfect: nos. 87-88, back wrapper for no. 64, and plan for no. 84 wanting. Copy 1 has two copies of the plan for no. 83; and has an error in the imposition of letterpress: p. 2-3 of no. 10 has also been printed as p. 2-3 of no. 9. Copy 2 inscribed, on some wrappers, Mr. J.M. Denew. In copy 2 the map vignette on the plan for no. 83 is incorrect; it appears in its correct place in no. 54. There are numerous differences between the plans, and the texts, of the two copies.
BAC : Printed by W. Hill.
Title from covers of parts.
Published in 88 parts, 1838-40. Each part consists of 4 p. text (except nos. 33-34, each of which has 6 p.) and 1 double plan, within paper covers.
The text is tentatively attributed to William Gaspey, and the elevations to [Charles?] Bigot, in the introduction to the London, 1969 edition of the present work. For bibliographical particulars, see also Chancellor, E. Beresford. Tallis's street views of London (in the London topographical record, vol. 12, 1920, p. 67-77).
- Subject Terms:
- London (England) -- Description and travel.London (England) -- Directories.Streets -- England -- London.
YCBA Collections Search
Tallis, John, 1815 or 6-1876, Tallis's London street views,, [1838-40]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.