Narrative of a journey in the interior of China, and of a voyage to and from that country, in the years 1816 and 1817 : containing an account of the most interesting transactions of Lord Amherst's Embassy to the Court of Pekin and observations on the countries which it visited / by Clarke Abel, M.D. F.R.S. F.L.S. and member of the Geological Society, Chief Medical Officer and naturalist to the Embassy ; illustrated by maps and other engravings.
- Additional Title(s):
Abel's travels in China
Travels in China
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Paternoster-Row, 1819.
London : Printed by A. Strahan, Printers-Street, 
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 420 pages,  leaves of plates ( folded) : illustrations, maps ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS709 .A24 1819+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title, on publisher's original printed label: Abel's travels in China.
Aquatint engravings by T.H. Fielding; after William Havell, Henry Raper, Clarke Abel, Sydenham Edwards, J. Edwards, and William Jackson Hooker. Engraving after A. Richard.
Plates dated Octr. 1st 1817.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 537
"Errata," 1 page at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary paper covered boards, with printed spine label. Cloth spine (rebacked?).
MED,HSL DS 819A: "Errata" inserted.
- Subject Terms:
- Abel, Clarke, 1780-1826 -- Travel -- Asia.Amherst of Arracan, William Pitt Amherst, Earl, 1773-1857.China -- Description and travel.China -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- China.Southeast Asia -- Description and travel.Voyages and travels.
- Aquatints -- 1819.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
Engravings -- 1819.
Stipple engravings -- 1819.
YCBA Collections Search
Abel, Clarke, 1780-1826, Narrative of a journey in the interior of China, and of a voyage to and from that country, in the years 1816 and 1817 , 1819
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.