A guide to Burghley House, Northamptonshire, the seat of the Marquis of Exeter : containing a catalogue of all the paintings, antiquities, &c. : with biographical notices of the artists.
- Additional Title(s):
Guide to Burghley House, in Northamptonshire, the seat of the Marquis of Exeter
- Stamford : Printed and published by John Drakard, High Street : and sold by Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy : and Nichols and Son, in London, 1815.
- Physical Description:
- x, 292,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Unable to reach service. Holdings currently not available
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- With an added engraved title page: A guide to Burghley House, in Northamptonshire, the seat of the Marquis of Exeter.
Engravings by Henry William Burgess, John Greig, R. Penny, and James Storer; after Edward Blore and Henry William Burgess.
Index to the portraits: p. - at end.
Authorship ascribed by Halkett & Laing.
Halkett, S. Dictionary of anonymous and pseudonymous publications in the English language (3rd ed.), v. II, p. 417
Holmes, M. Country house described, p. 55
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is a large paper copy. Bound in contemporary red quarter morocco and brown boards. Frontispiece, Burgley House, near Stamford, repeated as plate. Lacks plate with title Burghley Lodge. Includes publisher's advertisements,  pages at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is bound in contemporary calf with marbled boards (22 cm). Lacks added engraved title page. Bookplate: Rupert Gunnis. Inscription: N.B. More [illegible]. Lacks ground plan of Burghley House and reference to the plan included in copy 1. Lacks publisher's advertisment present at end of copy 1.
BAC: British Art Center copy 3 is bound in publisher's original brown printed paper covered boards (24 cm). Publisher's advertisements printed on back cover. Lacks added engraved title page. With publisher's advertisement  p. at end. Bound by John Davies, Bookseller, etc. Shewsbury. Lacks ground plan of Burghley House and reference to the plan included in copy 1.
- Subject Terms:
- Antiques -- Private collections -- England -- Stamford -- Catalogs.Art -- Private collections -- England -- Stamford -- Catalogs.Burghley House (Stamford, England) -- Catalogs.Burghley House (Stamford, England) -- Guidebooks.Country houses -- England -- Stamford.Davies, John -- Bookbinder.Gunnis, Rupert -- Bookplate.More, N.B. -- Autograph.Painting -- Private collections -- England -- Stamford -- Catalogs.
- Engravings -- 1815.
- Burghley House, near Stamford
- The Lodges
- Pedigree of the Marquis of Exeter
- Ground plans of Burghley House. Reference to the plan.