A description of the country from thirty to forty miles round Manchester : containing its geography, natural and civil; principal productions; river and canal navigations; a particular account or its towns and chief villages; their history, population, commerce, and manufactures; buildings, government, &c. / The materials arranged, and the work composed by J. Aikin, M.D. embellished and illustrated with seventry-three plates.
- London : Printed for John Stockdale, 
- Physical Description:
- , xvi, , 624 pages,  leaves of plates ( folded) : illustrations, maps, plans, portraits ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.L2 A35 1795+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIR Edea M31 +795: Imperfect: Plate no. 73 wanting.
With an added engraved title page, imprint dated June 4, 1795.
Engravings by H. Mutlow, Robert Pollard, John Record, Thomas Rothwell, James Storer, William Charles Wilson, R. Newman, Francis Sansom, Samuel Sparrow, Murray, John Eastgate, William Ellis, William Bromley, Edward Shirt, and Thomas Milton; after Johannes Swertner, Edward Days, and John Astley.
Errors in paging: p. ix numbered xi, p. 270 numbered 258.
Subscriber's list:  p., 2nd count.
English short title catalogue,, T85569
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in tree calf; rebacked.
MEDHIST has 2 copies. Copy 2 in 2 volumes, paged sequentially, with verso pages blank. Copy 2 bookplate of Pauncefort-Duncombe of Brickhill Manor. Copy 2 bookplate of Harvey Cushing.
- Subject Terms:
- Cheshire (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Cushing, Harvey, 1869-1939 -- Bookplate.Derbyshire (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.England -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.England -- Description and travel.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1795.Lancashire (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Lancashire (England) -- History -- Early works to 1800.Pauncefort-Duncombe, of Brickhill Manor -- Bookplate.Staffordshire (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Stockdale, John -- Publisher.Yorkshire (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Subscription lists (Publishing) -- England -- 18th century
YCBA Collections Search
Aikin, John, 1747-1822, A description of the country from thirty to forty miles round Manchester , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.