Iconologia, or, Moral emblems / by Caesar Ripa, wherein are express'd, various images of virtues, vices, passions, arts, humours, elements and celestial bodies, as design'd by the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, and modern Italians ; useful for orators, poets, painters, sculptors, and all lovers of ingenuity ; illustrated with three hundred twenty-six humane figures, with their explanations ; newly design'd, and engraven on copper, by I. Fuller, painter, and other masters ; by the care and at the charge of P. Tempest.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Printed by Benj. Motte, MDCCIX 
- Physical Description:
- , 81 leaves, 2 leaves of plates : illustrations (326 emblems on 81 plates) ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7740 R513View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BAC : Plates by J. Kip, I.F., and H.C.; after C.G.C., and I.F.
BAC : Added t.-p., engraved.
BEIN 2018 36: 18th-century Cambridge panel binding with mauve and gilt floral endpapers. Label inscribed in manuscript: Brent Ely Library ... Presentation inscription dated Jan. 26th, 1921, from "Philip".
Paginated by numbered openings with letterpress on versos to face illustrations on rectos. The final illustration, numbers 81, is a plate.
Added engraved title page.
First edition, in Italian, published at Rome, without illustrations.
English short title catalogue, T154167
- Subject Terms:
- Brent Ely Library -- Bookplate.Emblems -- Early works to 1800.Symbolism in art -- Early works to 1800.
- Emblem books.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 20th century.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Ripa, Cesare, 1560-1645, Iconologia, or, Moral emblems , MDCCIX