Nuts to crack; or, Enigmatical repository; containing nearly 250 hieroglyphics, enigmas, conundrums, curious puzzles, and other ingenious devices.
- Clerkenwell, Printed and published by R. Macdonald [between 1830 and 1834]
- Physical Description:
- broadside. ill. 51 x 38 cm., fold. to 14 x 10 cm. & booklet (15,  p.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B G 5View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BAC : Advertisements: p.  of booklet.
BAC : "Sold also by G. Berger."
Lord Brougham mentioned as chancellor in riddle 143. He held this position 1830-34.
The booklet of answers has title: The nutcrackers; or A key to the Enigmatical repository.
Evidently only one of a number of similar riddle sheets with the same title and publisher.--Cf. British Museum Catalogue.
Cottage of content, or, Toys, games, and amusements of nineteenth century England, 79
Selected exhibitions: “The Cottage of Content : or, Toys, Games, and Amusements of Nineteenth Century England" (Yale Center for British Art, November 2 - December 31, 1977).
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 72
- Subject Terms:
- Berger, G. -- Publisher.Macdonald, R. -- Publisher.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1830-1834.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Pleasures and Pastimes (Yale Center for British Art, 1990-02-21 - 1990-04-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Cottage of Content, or, Toys, Games, and Amusements of Nineteenth Century England (Yale Center for British Art, November 2, 1977-December 31, 1977) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]