Gilpin, William, 1724-1804, Three essays , 1792
- Three essays : On picturesque beauty, On picturesque travel, and On sketching landscape : to which is added a poem, On landscape painting / by William Gilpin ...
- Alternate Title(s):
- Essays on picturesque beauty
- London : Printed for R. Blamire, 1792.
- Physical Description:
- , iii, , viii, 88, v, , 44 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1340 G5Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA620 G47 1792Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Half-title: Essays, on picturesque beauty; &c. &c. &c.
The poem has divisional title and separate pagination and register.
The plates are unsigned and without titles or imprints.
Abbey, J.R. Life 129
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 337
Includes errata, p. iii, and a tipped in errata slip at p. 85.
BAC: British Art Center copy ND1340 G5 is the Abbey copy.
BAC: British Art Center copy DA620 .G47 1792 is bound with the author's Observations on the river Wye. 3d ed. London, 1792. Imperfect: half-title wanting. "Explanation of the prints", iii p., bound in after the text.
- Subject Terms:
- Blamire, R. -- Publisher.Landscape drawing -- Early works to 1800.Landscape painting -- Early works to 1800.Picturesque, The -- Early works to 1800.
- Aquatints -- 1792.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1792.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.