Buck's antiquities; or venerable remains of above four hundred castles, monasteries, palaces, &c. &c. in England and Wales. With near one hundred views of cities and chief towns. By Messrs. Samuel and Nathaniel Buck ...
- London : Printed by D. Bond, 1774.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. : ill., map, port., plates (some folded) ; 47 cm. (v. 3, 32 x 46 cm.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B D 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BAC : Imperfect: added, engraved t.-p. wanting.
BAC : Frontispiece by Richd. Houston, after Jos. Highmore; head-pieces by M. Liart, after E. Edwards; plates by the authors, two after P. Combes, or R. Collins, the rest after their own designs.
BAC : Head- and tail-pieces; initials.
BAC : Added t.-p., engraved, in v. 3.
BAC : The plates are preceded by historical accounts and accompanied by descriptive letterpress.
BAC : Vol. 3 has title: Buck's perspective views of near one hundred cities and chief towns, in England and Wales; with historical accounts of their antiquity, foundation, situation ... &c. &c. ... Volume the third.
BAC : Map published by Laurie & Whittle; dated 1802. Laurie & Whittle took over R. Sayer's stock around 1794, according to Maxted.
BAC : A reissue of his A collection of engravings of castles, abbeys, and towns in England and Wales, first published 1726-53.
BAC: Volume 3 includes [A prospect of London and Westminster].
LWL Folio 63 774 B85: v.3 47 x 48 cm.
LWL Folio 63 774 B85: Bookplate of Samuel Long.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Great Britain.Castles -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Antiquities.Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Long, Samuel -- Bookplate.Monasteries -- Great Britain.Palaces -- Great Britain.
- v. 1-2. Castles, monasteries, palaces, &c. &c. (428 pl.)--v. 3. Cities and chief towns (83 double pl.)