Essays on physiognomy : designed to promote the knowledge and the love of mankind / by John Caspar Lavater, citizen of Zurich, and Minister of the Gospel ; illustrated by engravings, accurately copied, and some duplicates added from originals, executed by or under the inspection of, Thomas Hollloway ; translated from the French by Henry Hunter, D.D., Minister of the Scots Church, London-Wall.
- Additional Title(s):
Physiognomische Fragmente zur Beförderung der Menschenkenntnis und Menschenliebe. English
- London : Printed by T. Bensley, Bolt Court, Fleet Street, for John Stockdale, Piccadilly, 1810.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes in 5 : illustrations ; 34 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBF843 .L38 1810+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Translation of: Physiognomische Fragmente zur Beförderung der Menschenkenntniss und Menschenliebe.
Engravings by Philip Audinet, Inigo Barlow, Francesco Bartolozzi, William Blake, William Bromley, James Caldwell, Grignion, John Hall, Heath, Thomas Holloway, Howe, James Neagle, Rhodes, William Sharp, Anker Smith, Isaac Taylor, Paton Thomson, Thornwaite, Thomas Trotter, and Thomas Vivares; after Bartolozzi, Burney, Philippe de Champagne, Daniel Chodowiecki, Henry Fuseli, Hans Holbein, Le Brun, Angelica Kaufman, Godfrey Kneller, Pierre Mignard, Peter Paul Reubens, Schlutter, Benjamin West, and Anthony Van Dyke.
List of subscribers: volume 1, preliminary pages 11-20.
With engraved title page vignettes.
Directions to binder at end of volume 3 state that volumes 2 and 3 should each be in 2 parts.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled quarter red leather and red boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Characters and characteristics.Physiognomy.
- Engravings -- 1810.
Subscriber's lists -- England -- London -- 1810.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.