A representation of the Popish Plott in 29 figures, in ye manner of killing Sr. Edmond bury Godfry, & their horrid designes to kill the King, and the manner of the plotters execution.
- [London] Sold by Robert Greene [1681?]
- Physical Description:
- broadside. col. ill. 42 x 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 R4 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BAC : Cf. W. Keller. Cary, ENG 76-81, for playing cards based on the same designs.
BAC : British Art Center copy cut into strips and made into a panorama (which winds into a wooden case) by a previous owner.
Dated 1678 in: British Museum. Dept. of Prints and Drawings. Catalogue of political and personal satires, vol. I, no. 1067. However, the last illustration shows the beheading of Lord Stafford, which did not take place until Dec. 29, 1680.
Possibly after designs by Francis Barlow.--Cf. Wayland, Virginia. Francis Barlow's sketches. Pasadena, 1971, p. 2.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- History -- Restoration, 1660-1688.Popish Plot, 1678.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.