IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Manby, George William, 1765-1854, Journal of a voyage to Greenland, in the year 1821 , MDCCCXXII 
Journal of a voyage to Greenland, in the year 1821 : with graphic illustrations / by George William Manby, Esq.
- London : Printed for G. and W.B. Whittaker, 13, Ave-Maria Lane, MDCCCXXII 
London : Printed by William Clowes, Northumberland-Court
- Physical Description:
- viii, 143,  pages,  leaves of plates (2 folded) : illustrations, map ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG740 .M36 1822+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Lithographs by James Duffield Harding. Printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel.
Printer's statement from title page verso.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 44195
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in brown half calf and marbled boards. Armorial bookplate: Frances Mary Richardson Currer.
Account of the Ship Baffin's Voyage with Captain Scoresby. The main purpose of the voyage was to test a new harpoon design by Scoresby. The voyage took them first to Spitzbergen, along the coast of Greenland, to Iceland and then home.
- Subject Terms:
- Currer, Frances Mary Richardson -- Bookplate.Glaciers -- Greenland.Greenland -- Description and travel.Harpoons -- History.Natural history -- Greenland.Scoresby, William, 1760-1829.Voyages and travels.Whaling -- Great Britain.Whaling -- Greenland.
- Lithographs -- 1822.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1822.
Wood engravings -- 1822.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
- Plates: General map of the Polar Ice in the Greenland Sea
- Piece of ice with stalactite
- Heavy ice with ice blink
- Stream of ice
- Hummoch resembling a temple
- Sailing ice
- Hummock of ice resembling a bear
- Remarkable piece of ice resting on columns
- Fragment of an ice berg
- Striking a whale with third harpoon
- Close packed ice
- A boat going on the tail of a fish
- A whale upsetting a boat
- Floe of ice
- Field of ice with water blink
- Direct lead through patch ice
- Lancing the whale
- Compact patch ice
- A bear attacking a boat
- Larus Parasiticus or Arctic Gull
- Beeringberg from N.E. of Jan Mayne.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.