Manby, George William, 1765-1854, Journal of a voyage to Greenland, in the year 1821 , MDCCCXXII 
- Journal of a voyage to Greenland, in the year 1821 : with graphic illustrations / by George William Manby, Esq.
- London : Printed for G. and W.B. Whittaker, 13, Ave-Maria Lane, MDCCCXXII 
London : Printed by William Clowes, Northumberland-Court
- Physical Description:
- viii, 143,  pages,  leaves of plates (2 folded) : illustrations, map ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG740 .M36 1822+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Account of the Ship Baffin's Voyage with Captain Scoresby. The main purpose of the voyage was to test a new harpoon design by Scoresby. The voyage took them first to Spitzbergen, along the coast of Greenland, to Iceland and then home.
Lithographs by James Duffield Harding. Printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel.
Printer's statement from title page verso.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in brown half calf and marbled boards. Armorial bookplate: Frances Mary Richardson Currer.
- Plates: General map of the Polar Ice in the Greenland Sea -- Piece of ice with stalactite -- Heavy ice with ice blink -- Stream of ice -- Hummoch resembling a temple -- Sailing ice -- Hummock of ice resembling a bear -- Remarkable piece of ice resting on columns -- Fragment of an ice berg -- Striking a whale with third harpoon -- Close packed ice -- A boat going on the tail of a fish -- A whale upsetting a boat -- Floe of ice -- Field of ice with water blink -- Direct lead through patch ice -- Lancing the whale -- Compact patch ice -- A bear attacking a boat -- Larus Parasiticus or Arctic Gull -- Beeringberg from N.E. of Jan Mayne.
- Subject Terms:
- Currer, Frances Mary Richardson -- Bookplate.Glaciers -- Greenland.Greenland -- Description and travel.Harpoons -- History.Natural history -- Greenland.Scoresby, William, 1760-1829.Voyages and travels.Whaling -- Great Britain.Whaling -- Greenland.
- Lithographs -- 1822.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1822.
Wood engravings -- 1822.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.