Britton, John, 1771-1857, Modern Athens!, 1829 [i.e. 1831]
- Modern Athens! Displayed in a series of views: or Edinburgh in the nineteenth century: exhibiting the whole of the new buildings, modern improvements, antiquities, and picturesque scenery, of the Scottish metropolis and its environs, from original drawings, by Mr. Thomas H. Shepherd ...
- London, Jones & Co., 1829 [i.e. 1831]
- Physical Description:
- 2 p.., [iii]-vi, 88 p., 1 leaf. plates. 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA890 E3 B8 1831+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : Advertisements (copy 1): on wrappers, and in part 5.
BAC : British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1, which is in 9 parts, is in a case with copy 2 of [Scotland illustrated. London, 1831]. Copy 2 is extra-illustrated.
BAC : Plates by W. Wallis, W. Tombleson, T. Barber, James B. Allen, J. Henshall, W. Watkins, A. McClatchie, S. Lacey, J. Hinchliff, A. Cruse, J. Redaway, W.H. Bond, J. Johnstone, J. Rolph, W.H. Lizars, R. Acon, T. Higham, E. Stalker, L. Byrne, E.I. Roberts, A. Fox, and W. Radcliffe; after Tho. H. Shepherd.
BAC : Title vignette: wood engraving by Mary Byfield, after T.H. Shepherd.
BAC : "J. Haddon, printer."
BAC : Intended by the publisher to be part of Scotland illustrated, according to wrappers on the British Art Center copy.
Added t.-p., engraved.
Dedication signed: John Britton.
Plates dated 1829-31.
- Subject Terms:
- Edinburgh (Scotland) -- Description and travel.
- Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.