A series of etchings / by James Barry ; from his original and justly celebrated paintings, in the great room of the Society of Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce, Adelphi.
- London : Printed by W. Bulmer and Co., Cleveland-Row, St. James's ; 1808.
sold by Colnaghi, Printerseller, Cockspur-Street, and by all the principal Printsellers in London. ..., 1808.
- Physical Description:
- , 2,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 66 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B N 5 Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B N 5 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John E. HankinsView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "16 large, unnumbered etchings, eight of which are double-page. The first six, for which there is descriptive letterpress explanation, are of the paintings Barry executed for the Great Room of the Society of Arts. They are marked 'Picture 1st, 3d, 4th, 5th and 7th to denote their position in the room, pictures 2nd and 6th being those of George III and Queen Caroline which were planned over the two chimney-pieces but not in fact executed (sketches of these are shown in another plate included in this volume). The first six plates are signed as engraved and published by Barry on 1 May 1791 ... nine years after his completion of the paintings in 1782. A further seven plates (six double-page) showing details from 'Elysium' and 'Olympia', incorporate revisions and additions to the original paintings and etchings ... and are of a later date (28 Feb. 1793, 1 May 1795, 25 July 1800). There is also an early engraving (1776) of Barry's 'Lear and Cordelia' (exhibited at the Academy in 1774) and finally an outline etching, by Lewis Luigi Schiavonetti, 'Etched for R.H. Solly, May 1. 1810.', of Pandora."--British Architectural Library.
"The explanatory letterpress is based on passages from Barry's 'An account of a series of pictures in the Great Room of the Society of Arts ... at the Adelphi', 1783."--British Architectural Library.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 198
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Both copies bound in half calf with marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Adelphi (London, England)Painting -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Royal Society of Arts (Great Britain)W. Bulmer and Co. -- Publisher.
- Etchings -- 1808.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.