Characteristicks of men, manners, opinions, times. In three volumes. By the Right Honourable Anthony, Earl of Shaftesbury.
- The 5th ed., cor. With the addition of a letter concerning design.
- London, Printed by John Darby, 1732.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. front. (port.) 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsB1385 A2 1732Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : Frontispiece by Sim. Gribelin, after J. Closterman; title vignettes and head-pieces also by Gribelin.
BEIN 2002 523: Armorial bookplate of Charles Grave Hudson.
Special t.-p. to each volume.
English short title catalogue, T144565
- Subject Terms:
- Characters and characteristics.Ethics.Hudson, Charles Grave -- Bookplate.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance).
- Vol. I. A letter concerning enthusiasm. Sensus communis; an essay on the freedom of wit and humour. Soliloquy, or Advice to an author.--Vol. II. An inquiry concerning virtue and merit. The moralists; a philosophical rhapsody.--Vol. III. Miscellaneous reflections on the said treatises, and other critical subjects. A notion of the historical draught, or Tablature of the judgment of Hercules. With a letter concerning design.