Smith, Samuel Stanhope, 1750-1819, An essay on the causes of the variety of complexion and figure in the human species, M,DCC,LXXXVIII
- An essay on the causes of the variety of complexion and figure in the human species. To which are added, Strictures on Lord Kames's discourse on the original diversity of mankind. By the Rev. Samuel Stanhope Smith ...
- A new ed. With some additional notes, by a gentleman of the University of Edinburgh.
- Philadelphia printed, and Edinburgh reprinted, for C. Elliot, Edinburgh; [etc., etc.] M,DCC,LXXXVIII.
- Physical Description:
- viii, -217 p. 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGN353 S6 1788Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The substance of the ... essay was delivered in the annual oration, before the Philosophical society in Philadelphia, February 28, 1787.--And the whole is published at the request of the society."
- Subject Terms:
- Anthropology -- Miscellanea.Human skin color.Kames, Henry Home, Lord, 1696-1782. Sketches of the history of man.Monogenism and polygenism.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.