Treatise on the knowledge necessary to amateurs in pictures. Tr. and abridged from the French of M. Francois-Xavier de Burtin by Robert White.
- Additional Title(s):
Traité théorique et pratique des connoissances qui sont nécessaires à tout amateur de tableaux. English
- London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, [etc., etc.] 1845.
- Physical Description:
- x p., 1 leaf, 338 p. front., 3 pl. 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1135 B85Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : Advertisements: 32 p. at end, printed by Wilson and Ogilvy.
BAC : Frontispiece and several plates by Maclure & Macdonald, Glasgow, after Corregio or Parmegiano, C. Poelemberg, and Van Aelst. Another plate lithographed by Wilt from a design by Fr. Schenck, after Teniers.
BAC : "Printed by A. Spottiswoode."
"Alphabetical list, containing the names of most of the best Flemish, Dutch, and German painters, with the highest prices at which their pictures have been sold": p. 234-246.
- Subject Terms:
- Art museums.Painting -- Prices.Painting -- Private collections.Painting.
YCBA Collections Search
Burtin, François-Xavier de, 1743-1818, Treatise on the knowledge necessary to amateurs in pictures, 1845
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.