Characters and criticisms upon the ancient and modern orators, poets, painters, musicians, statuaries, & other arts and sciences. With an heroick poem (in blank verse) intituled The age of Lewis the Great. Written originally in French by the Archbishop of Cambray, and made English by Capt. Bladen.
- Additional Title(s):
Histoire poëtique de la guerre nouvellement declarée entre les anciens et les modernes. English
- London, Printed for Richard Smith, 1714.
- Physical Description:
- 4 p.., 211,  p. fold. front. 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN883 C313 1714Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : Advertisements:  p. at end.
A translation of the author's Histoire poëtique, a satire, written partly in reply to Charles Perrault's poem Le siècle de Louis XIV. The attribution to the Archbishop of Cambray (François de Salignac de La Mothe-Fénelon) on the t.-p. is in error.
Pages 60, 61, and 64 misnumbered 62, 63, and 66, respectively.
The title-page is a cancel.
- Subject Terms:
- Classical literature -- Appreciation.Literature, Comparative -- Classical and modern.Literature, Comparative -- Modern and classical.Perrault, Charles, 1628-1703. Siècle de Louis XIV.
YCBA Collections Search
Callières, Monsieur de (François), 1645-1717, Characters and criticisms upon the ancient and modern orators,, 1714
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.